The countdown to moustache season begins with the launch of the Movember Foundation’s 2018 Movember campaign. For over a decade, thousands of Canadians join every year to raise funds and awareness for prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health and suicide prevention. Together everyone has made a difference, funding over 1,200 projects worldwide. But there is still more work to do to help stop men dying too young. Join today and register at Movember.com.
“I had been growing a Mo with my friends every Movember, but last year I felt like I really I wanted to make a difference,” says Mo Bro Lee Kwiecien. “Last year, I fought for myself, and guys like me across the globe. I fought for men’s health, but in particular, our mental health. I battle depression and anxiety and I want to do what I can to prevent people from thinking they are alone. I’ll be growing my Mo again proudly this year, and encouraging those tough conversations with my friends. It is my time to give back.”
Throughout the month Mo Bros and Mo Sistas become walking, talking billboards, sparking conversations and raising critical funds that support breakthrough men’s health project, with the goal of changing the face of men’s health.
- 1 in 7 Canadian men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime
- Testicular cancer is the most common cancer in young Canadian men aged 15-39
- 3 out of 4 deaths by suicide are men
- 8 Canadian men take their lives every day.
There are three main ways to join in on this hairy month:
- GROW your Mo: At the beginning of the month, men are encouraged to shave their faces clean and grow their moustache for the 30 days of Movember. If they’re not willing to part with all of their beloved facial hair, they can also sacrifice a beard into a moustache and let that grow for the rest of the month. The Mo is our ribbon for men’s health, and the idea is to wear it proudly!
- Let’s MOVE: Can’t grow a moustache? That’s okay. We’re encouraging everyone who doesn’t feel like getting hairy to take on a MOVE challenge throughout the month of Movember by committing to walking or running 60km throughout the month of Movember for the 60 men who die by suicide every hour, globally. When you break it down, that’s 2KM every day – enough to walk to work, or get off the bus a few stops early on your way home
- HOST a Mo-Ment: There’s nothing better than getting together with your friends for a good cause. Plan a quiz night, a hockey tournament, or a fun party for your friends.
For more information visit Movember.com.