The City of Pickering was honoured to be awarded the Metrolinx Smart Commute Gold 2017 Workplace Designation for the sixth consecutive year.
The Workplace Designation program rewards Smart Commute workplaces on their commitment to promoting and supporting sustainable travel options for their organization, recognizing them as leaders in corporate social responsibility.
Some of the City’s winning efforts include:
- encouraging staff to sign up for its carpool zone
- allocating a priority parking spot for carpoolers in the staff underground parking lot
- providing secure bike racks and allowing staff access to the Pickering Recreation Complex shower and change facilities if they bike or walk to work
- participating in Smart Commute events like Carpool Week, Bike to Work Day and Active Switch
- organizing “Lunch n’ Learns” for topics such as bike maintenance, Nordic walking and carpooling
“It is important that we provide opportunities for staff in making smart commute choices,” said Mayor Dave Ryan. “It is through our collective efforts that we can help to ease gridlock and reduce our environmental impact.”
“The Region of Durham would like to congratulate the City of Pickering for its ongoing participation and continued success in championing the Smart Commute Program,” said Brian Bridgeman, Commissioner, Planning and Economic Development for the Region of Durham.