Residents of all ages and abilities are invited to take part in the more than 35 free, family-friendly events being hosted by the Town this summer.
Back by popular demand, the Town’s summer programming includes Music in the Park, Culture in the Square, Movies in the Park and Fresh Air in the Square.
“From movie and music events to culture and family fitness activities, our summer events offer something for everyone,” said Mayor Don Mitchell. “Events like these are an important part of what makes Whitby a vibrant and active community. We welcome all residents to join in the fun this summer.”
New this year, Music in the Park will include performances put on by the top 16 musical acts selected from the more than 90 applicants who responded to the Town’s inaugural Call for Performers. The Movies in the Park series will also find a new home at Whitby Civic Park, providing movie-goers with additional parking, access to indoor washroom facilities and an enhanced viewing experience. Weekly Culture in the Square activities will invite residents to try something new with poetry, flamenco dancing, lessons on saree wrapping and much more. Families will also enjoy getting outside together for free yoga and zumba classes with Fresh Air in the Square.
Details for the events that residents are invited to take part in as part of this year’s 2018 summer event line-up are:
- Culture in the Square: free music and cultural performances and activities aimed at celebrating culture and diversity. Culture in the Square begins July 3 and will take place every Tuesday at 7 p.m. at Celebration Square (405 Dundas Street).
For the complete line-up of performances and activities, visit whitby.ca/cultureinthesquare.
- Music in the Park: free, outdoor musical performances showcasing artists from a wide variety of genres, including rock, pop, jazz, blues, R&B, folk and more. Music in the Park begins the week of July 2 and will take place at 7 p.m. every Wednesday in Rotary Centennial Park and every Thursday in Grass Park until August 23.
For the complete line-up of performances, visit whitby.ca/musicinthepark.
- Fresh Air in the Square: free, outdoor fitness classes for the whole family to enjoy. Fresh Air in the Square begins on July 5 and will be held every Thursday through to the end of August. Classes will take place from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Celebration Square (405 Dundas Street). Fresh Air in the Square will feature free yoga classes in July and free Zumba classes in August.
For more information, visit whitby.ca/hesquare.
- Movies in the Park: four free movie screenings being held at Whitby Civic Park (30 Bassett Boulevard). Movies will begin at dark (approximately 8:45 p.m.) and include:
- Boss Baby on July 13
- Jumanji – Welcome to the Jungle on July 27
- Space Jam on August 10
- The Greatest Showman on August 24
Residents can enter to win VIP seating at either the Jumanji or Space Jam screenings by following @townofwhitby, tweeting “I’m attending Whitby’s Movies in the Park” and mentioning @townofwhitby with the hashtag #whitbyvipseats. The prize pack includes front row seating, blankets, popcorn and drinks for four, and more. The deadline for entries is Friday, June 29, at 4:30 p.m.
For more information on Movies in the Park, visit whitby.ca/moviesinthepark.
This year’s Music in the Park (Whitby and Brooklin) events are proudly sponsored by Hearing Excellence Whitby and Brookvalley Developments. The 2018 Movies in the Park screenings are proudly sponsored by Tim Hortons, Whitby Orthodontics and Vanessa Hoffman, Keller Williams Energy Brokerage.
For a complete listing of the Town’s 2018 special events, visit whitby.ca/events.